I’ve seen a lot of ‘Me, Myself & I’ and ‘Things I’m Afraid to Tell You’ posts floating around lately, and while I’m not going to do either one of those (at this time), I did think a post where you get to know me a bit better was a good idea. So here, in no particular order, are some things you probably didn’t know about me.
- If there was a way for me to be a librarian without having to go back to school for a degree in library science, that’s probably what I’d be doing instead of design work. I’ve considered volunteering (and may still do so), but in the long term mama needs to get paid.
- I’ve also toyed with the idea of being an event planner or wedding planner, but I like having my weekends free too much to really do that.
- I met Ian through eHarmony. If you’re going to dip your toe into online dating, I’d recommend eHarmony over Match. Match paired me with a sociopath (true story); eHarmony paired me with a genuinely decent guy whom I’ve been with for 3 years now. Enough said.
- My degree is in Graphic Design, but it is a Fine Arts degree, which means I took a lot of standard art and art history classes alongside the digital design classes. I have tried my hand at all of the following: drawing in pencils and charcoals and conte crayons, painting in acrylics and watercolors, sculpting clay, doing plaster casts, wood carving, stained glass, printmaking, collages, rubbings, photography (the kind where you develop your own B&W film), and glazing pottery.
- I am self-conscious about my legs, and in particular my thighs, which is why you won’t see me in super short skirts or shorts in my outfit posts.
- I have never had a full-time 9-to-5 job, and don’t really plan on it. I had plenty of part-time jobs from the age of 14 up until I started my freelance business. They included working at a gas station, a golf range, a jazz radio station, a design firm, a newspaper and various departments at my college.
- I had lived in 4 different states by the time I was 7 (army brat). I was born in Mississippi but lived for the most time in Ohio before moving to Texas. Most of my family is in Ohio and Michigan.
- One of my least favorite things is the transition from dry to wet, or wet to dry. This alone can be reason enough to put off showering on some days. I do still shower, of course, but usually not ’til I’ve been awake a few hours and feel up to the task of facing that transition.
- I am a purist when it comes to books. I simply don’t like reading on a tablet, and much prefer to have the real, physical thing with weight and pages in my hands.
- There are some popular things that I just can’t stand, and will not be convinced otherwise: coffee, peter pan collars, rompers, platforms, Nutella, Katy Perry, fabric rosettes/flowers, salad dressing (yes, any kind), mint flavor being in anything other that dental products, sequins, seeing movies in 3D (not worth the extra $, and gives me a headache), etc. I’m sure there’s more, but that’s what I could think of right now. Some of you probably don’t want to be friends anymore.
So, there you have it. 10 things you probably didn’t know about me. Curious about something else? Send in a question on my Ask Me Anything post. 🙂