You didn’t think I could let the holidays go by without sharing a holiday recipe, did you? 🙂 This is a recipe that my mom got way back in the day when my dad was stationed in Germany. There was a cookie swap with neighbors/friends/fellow military families, and my mom ended up with this recipe: date balls. Ever since, it has been a staple in our holiday baking regimen. Granted, they aren’t technically cookies nor do they need baking, but they are delicious. And I have many fond Christmas-time memories of helping my mom make them. This was my first year making them on my own, and I was without the aid of child minions to help with the assembly. 😀 But they are still just as tasty – the perfect level of sweetness, with just the right amount of crunchy bits. Nom.
- 1/4 lb. butter (1 stick)
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. chopped dates
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 c. Rice Krispies cereal
- 8 oz. chopped walnuts
- Cook butter, sugar, dates and egg over low heat til thick, stirring frequently.
- Add vanilla, stir, let cool.
- Add Rice Krispies, mix well.
- With greased (butter) hands, roll into 1″ balls, then cover/roll in the chopped walnuts.
- Enjoy! Makes 3-4 dozen.
What are some of your favorite holiday recipes?