Check out her tasty recipe below, and then go say hi!
Hi, I’m Carly! And it’s that time of year here in Florida: strawberry season!
- 6 cups fresh strawberries (about 1 1/2 quarts)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup of graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
I usually make the crust first.
- Melt butter in a 9 inch pie pan, 1 minute covered in the microwave works for me.
- Next add graham crackers and sugar , use a fork to mix the crumbs and the butter.
- Once the mixture is consistent, use the fork to press the mixture against the sides of the pan.
- Place in oven at 375F for 5 or 6 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Strawberry filling: Cut strawberries into bite sized pieces and remove stems. The great part of this recipe is that you can (and should) use strawberries that are slightly ‘over the hill.’
I tried making it with crisp strawberries once and it was just not the same. I got these strawberries for $.99 a quart since they needed a little bit of cutting. If a strawberry is slightly mushy, or if I cut anything out of it, I place it in the blender.
- Once all of your strawberries are cut, blend the soft strawberries to get 1 cup of mush (2 if you make a double batch like I do.) While you are doing this let your crust cool.
- Next, add the sugar and corn starch to a pan. Add the strawberry mush and water slowly as you mix.
- Place pan over medium heat on the stove and mix, mix, mix. While you are doing this, you can add the crisp strawberries to the cooled crusts.
- Mix continuously until the mixture boils, then stir constantly while it boils for 1 minute.
- Remove sauce from heat and let it cool.
- Once the mixture is reasonable cool, pour over the pie crust and strawberries.
- Refrigerate for a few hours.