1. I attended a pickling workshop at Treehouse this past week. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it was still not what I had expected (if that makes sense). The speaker walked us through making pickles by fermentation, rather than the vinegar brine method I was vaguely familiar with from my Grandma. I was initially skeptical (she was making pickled carrots, which I have no interest in ever eating again), but it’s a method that can be used on any veggie, including the traditional pickling cucumbers. And the method seems a lot less labor intensive than my Grandma’s way, which is a plus. There was no sterilizing water bath or needing to specially seal jars. After reporting to the boy about it, we are going to try it out this weekend. I’ll be making some garlic-dill cucumber pickles, and he’ll be trying out some spicy carrot pickles. Hopefully one of the farmer’s markets this weekend will still have the smaller pickling cucumbers (I have no idea what their ‘season’ is). I’ll let you know how that goes.
2. The Project Runway season finale was last night, and I have to say I’m disappointed with who they declared the winner. If it was a popularity contest for Who’s The Nicest, I might’ve picked that person. But based on the collections shown, I definitely would’ve picked the runner-up as the winner. (how’s that for no spoiler commentary?!)
3. I know Austin has badly needed some rain, but I am really tired of it. Can’t the weather gods spread it out over the year instead of having a whole week in a row of dreary grey days? I moved here to escape dreary grey days! It makes me completely unmotivated. I’ve been on top of work stuff this week, but have done pretty much diddly squat with screen printing or even this blog. I’ve just been curled up reading instead.
4. Proud dog mama moment: Sienna went in for her comprehensive exam and vaccine updates this week, and when the vet called me to go over all of the results, she also said they couldn’t resist playing with Sienna because she was so friendly and playful, and that in general she is “just an awesome dog.” 😀
5. I am guest posting over at Mandy’s place today. It involves TV crime dramas and Photoshop, two of my favorite things. You should go check it out.
How was your week? Up to anything fun or new this weekend?
The art of asking: or, how to ask and get what you want. “You have to actually ASK for what you want. It sounds so simple to write this, and almost insanely easy advice. But there are too many people who do not ask for what they want. They’ll tell you a story, email you to say hello, spend hours talking in circles about their idea, hedge and hum about a faint aspect of their idea—and somehow hope amongst all the befuddlement that somehow the other person they are talking to will be able figure out what is is you […]
I am back from our trip! Did you miss me? 😉 We had an activity-packed week spending time with the boy’s extended family. It was like a mini family reunion. And by mini, I mean 13 people total, which doesn’t seem like much until you’re trying to coordinate everyone in the morning or get seated at a restaurant, haha. We went to a spa, and up a scenic overlook and to cute little lakeside towns, took a train further upstate for the views and shopping, spent time hanging around his uncle’s house, went to an apple orchard to pick apples […]
Sunshine by Robin McKinley Rae (nicknamed Sunshine) Seddon is just your normal young twenty-something with a complicated family situation, working at a coffeeshop and dating a nice guy. Until one night she gets ambushed at the lake and finds herself chained to the wall in an abandoned house with a clearly starving vampire, also a prisoner. Not the best setup for long life expectancy. Except that Sunshine’s complicated family situation includes inheriting a surprisingly strong talent for magic from her father’s side. So a precarious, unlikely alliance is born between Sunshine and the vampire Constantine, as they work to escape […]
If you’re in search of fall outfit inspiration, you’re in the wrong place. Clearly we’re still in the grip of summer weather here. Or at least we were this past weekend, when I took these shots. For all I know Austin experienced a cooling spell as soon as I left. And it will probably still be near 90 when I return. I love this skirt. It’s easy to wear, since you can just pick any tone out of the floral print (which is itself a great color palette) and use that on top. And the pleats give it a nice […]
Video of the week: A white lion cub practicing her roar. Too cute. Probably the most useful summary of this whole shutdown business that I’ve read. We Are the Government – great post by The Bloggess about the shutdown. On a lighter note, 15 Weirdest Effects of the Shutdown 7 Ways Manners Are Disappearing From Our Society Your Boss Doesn’t Owe You A ‘Fun’ Job Really good advice: How To Stay Focused When You Get Bored Working Toward Your Goals and also 25 Things You Keep In Your Life That Are Only Holding You Back. Beware of the “Spotlight Effect”. […]
With Halloween at the end of the month, October seemed like the perfect time to dip into the darker side of Etsy. For this month’s round-up, I looked for beautiful pieces with just a little edge of creepiness, weirdness or darkness. And I’m kind of loving how this round-up turned out. A Strange & Terrible Beauty by Dragonflight Dreams Polyp Night lamp – Juniper w… Morgod $94 Waterfall Landscape 432 blac… TheoDapore $199 Copper Metal Cuff, Wired Cuf… stacyjayjewelr… $85 Leather Journal, blue journa… EthosCustomBra… $192.5 Black Leather ‘Maja’… Hopeless $70 Black Vine Half Mask,womens,… gringrimaceand… $160 Black ocean wave […]