- Funny video of the week: Magic Tricks for Dogs. A magician makes a treat disappear, dogs reactions are priceless.
- Exciting of the week: the first trailer for The Giver. Loved this book as a kid, excited about the movie, disappointed they aren’t doing black and white for the beginning.
- Perfectly illustrated gaming community fallacy. Yup.
- Which is Worse: A Game of Thrones Spoiler, or Detention? A French mathematics teacher writes a spoiler from Game of Thrones on the board whenever his class gets too noisy. Genius.
- Pixel And Dimed: On (Not) Getting By In The Gig Economy. A good read, especially for anyone who thinks freelancing is easy.
- Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex. Huzzah! Good on you.
- Weird and interesting: List of reasons you could be committed to an asylum in the 1800’s. Pretty sure we’d all be there.
- IFTTT – If This Then This. Super handy tool for linking/syncing different social media accounts.
- A First-Of-Its Kind Study Reveals National “Friendship Crisis” Facing Adults. Interesting.
- Two great bookworm lists: 25 YA Books For Adults Who Don’t Read YA and, conversely, 25 Adult Books For Fans Of YA. Some good reads on both lists.
- Phrase of the week: “Some years we coast, some years we do the work.”
Things of Note:
Well, I got word last night and officially did not advance to round 2 of the NYC Midnight Short Story Contest this year. I can’t say I’m all that surprised; romantic comedy as an assignment just didn’t gel with me. I knew my story wasn’t that good. And honestly? Considering I came in 5th place overall last year, I’m not too disappointed. Kind of a ‘been there, done that’ thing, I guess. But it was useful as a writing exercise, so hey ho.
Other news! Did you see the new shop photos yesterday? Also, you guys know all of the prints in my shop are customizable, yes? So if you don’t see the color combo you want, you can just pick what you want. I know, awesome, right? 😉
How’s your week going? What are you up to?