What do you get when you have a friend who loves red velvet cake and the color purple (both of which you are a fan of yourself) who has a birthday to celebrate? You go to Google and learn that velvet cake can come in any color, and purple velvet cake is not only a thing that exists but awesome. It’s just like red velvet cake in moistness and tastiness – but purple! And not any harder to make that your normal cake. Feast your eyes (and maybe later your bellies) on this delectable violet velvet dessert:
Purple Velvet Cake
- 1 box of vanilla/white cake mix
- 3.5oz non-instant chocolate pudding mix (not the whole package)
- ½ c. buttermilk
- ~20 drops of purple/violet food coloring*
- remainder of ingredients on the box (in this case, water, eggs, and vegetable oil)
- cream cheese frosting
*more or less depending on how purple you want your cake.
- Preheat oven according to box directions and the type of pan you’re using.
- Prep cake mix according to box directions, but substitute half of the water with the buttermilk. Add in pudding mix and food coloring before beating.
- Beat mixture according to box directions.
- Pour into your greased pan(s) of choice and bake (you guessed it) according to the box directions.
- Allow cake to cool before removing from pan(s) and frosting. Don’t be alarmed if the outside doesn’t look too purple – the inside still will be!
- Enjoy your tasty purple velvety goodness!
What’s your favorite kind of cake?
Art series of the week: these great posters illustrating points from #YesAllWomen. Video of the week: James McAvoy Won’t Do Star Trek Impressions For Patrick Stewart. A Better Way to Say Sorry Your Princess Is in Another Castle: Misogyny, Entitlement, and Nerds. “The overall problem is one of a culture where instead of seeing women as, you know, people, protagonists of their own stories just like we are of ours, men are taught that women are things to “earn,” to “win.” That if we try hard enough and persist long enough, we’ll get the girl in the end. Like life […]
In case you missed it at the start of the year, one of the things I’ve decided to do with my shops this year is donate a portion of all sales to charities or causes that I support. June is host to World Blood Donor Day, World Refugee Day, and the official start of hurricane season. Accordingly, I have chosen the American Red Cross to be this month’s beneficiary. They respond to around 70,000 disasters each year in the US alone, and supply over 40% of America’s lifesaving blood supply through their blood drives. Internationally, they are one the world’s […]
Today this little space on the web turns 3 years old. It simultaneously seems like longer and yet not that long. I’ve been through a slight name change and several blog themes. I’ve tried and then abandoned sponsorships and certain topics/series. Writing a blog is a long game of fine tuning your content and your voice and your brand. One of the cornerstones, though, has always been my love of books and stories and reading. And so today, as a giant thank you to my readers and celebration of 3 years on internet air, I’m doing a giant book giveaway. […]