- Photo series of the week: Bull terrier and her human explore the abandoned buildings of Europe. This manages to be adorable and haunting at the same time.
- On The Inevitable Pettiness Of Creative Work. “Everybody’s artistic vision is constrained by time and place and what the judges and/or the public think … For that matter, there’s a long, illustrious tradition of artists giving the public, and/or their patrons, what they want.”
- Why (almost) everything you know about food is wrong. Basically, nutrition studies are a inaccurate hot mess.
- Meta: Baby carrots are not baby carrots.
- How obit site Legacy combats trolling the deceased. Because people troll obits apparently? Ugh.
- This is the craziest story you’ll ever hear out of North Korea. I’m sure their supreme leader has more crazy up his sleeve, but this is up there.
- Why boredom is anything but boring.
- An Open Letter to Fitness Brands Advertising to Women.
- Gendered Genre Terminology: Books for Men. Tongue in cheek and oh so awesome. “I’ve drafted this list of proposed man-specific genres that I recommend we work into mainstream book parlance as soon as possible. It’s far too confusing to simply discuss books as books without specifying which gendered shelf they belong on.”
Things of Note:
This past weekend was part pure relaxation, and part long-overdue productivity. If you’re reading this in a browser rather than a feed reader, you’ve likely noticed: Dragonflight Dreams got a new blog theme! It’s a bit more streamlined, and also now natively mobile-friendly/responsive, which means Google won’t hate me as much. There’s still a few small kinks to work out, but overall I like how the new look is working.
In other, much more amazing news: we got the official word that my mom is cancer free last week! She’ll still have to get checkups every few months in case of recurrence, but for now: no more cancer!! There are not enough exclamation points in the world to express my feelings on this. 😀
What’s the latest thing that’s made you extremely happy/relieved?
PS: If you like these TTT readworthy posts and want to get them straight to your inbox, sign up here.