- Cartoon series of the week: They Can Talk. What animals are really thinking.
- Videos of the week: Penguins vs. A Rope, and Buddy the Rescue Dog and the GoDogGo ball thrower.
- Pro-choice advocates just won the biggest Supreme Court abortion case in decades. Woo!
- Feminism by Thoughtful Omission in Sci-Fi & Fantasy. Yes, this.
- My Four Months as a Private Prison Guard: A Mother Jones Investigation. A long read, but a really good one.
- The Case for Free Money: Why don’t we have universal basic income? Yes, why don’t we?
- How insane work hours became a mark of American privilege. “In America over the last few decades, the association between leisure and privilege has been flipped on its head. What happened?”
- People under 30 have way weaker grips than they did a few decades ago.
- Edward Snowden’s Life as a Robot.
- Why a Romance Novel is Like a Sonnet.
- Speaking of sonnets, Human Or Machine: Can You Tell Who Wrote These Poems? I thought it was pretty obvious.
- Pain Is Not a Game, But VR Games May Help With America’s Opioid Addiction. There’s also a game to cure arachnophobia, but you won’t catch me playing that any time soon.
- Testing Drugs on Mini-Yous, Grown in a Dish.
- I Tried a Medieval Diet, And I Didn’t Even Get That Drunk.
- Why LaCroix sparkling water is suddenly everywhere. I don’t understand the hype. It’s disappointing as water or soda.
Things of Note:
I had 2 weeks worth of links stored up to share with you, so have at you! I am back in Texas, and back to the usual grind of things.
Not fun things: Sienna suddenly developed a limp over the weekend, and while meds are helping, the vet thinks it is the start of hip dysplasia, so that will take some close monitoring for the next few weeks/months. It also puts a kibosh on our 4th of July plans, as she has to be kept rested and calm for at least 2 weeks. We’d hoped to take her out hiking at Enchanted Rock for her birthday (which is the actual 4th), but looks like we’ll just have to figure out a non-action-packed way to spoil her instead.
More fun things: I’m hitting my 10 year mark in being a full-time freelancer this weekend, and am throwing myself a shindig. So that should be fun. Also, getting to see my sister and her baby bump, and help her set up her nursery was SUPER FUN and full of All Things Baby, so I have a pretty good dopamine cache just from that.
How about you? What’s been shaking in your world the past 2 weeks? Any fun 4th of July plans for you US folks?
PS: If you like these TTT readworthy posts and want to get them straight to your inbox, sign up here.