- The World’s Newest Major Religion: No Religion. “The religiously unaffiliated, called “nones,” are growing significantly. They’re the second largest religious group in North America and most of Europe. […] There have long been predictions that religion would fade from relevancy as the world modernizes, but all the recent surveys are finding that it’s happening startlingly fast.”
- Why my videogame chooses your character’s race and gender for you. Interesting. I think this is a good step.
- There Are Almost No Black People Brewing Craft Beer. Here’s Why. I wonder if it’s any different for wine?
- Men in Airport Bars Ask: “What Do You Do?” A writer reveals what men talk about when they talk about her writing. The condescension is staggering.
- Stop Saying ‘I Feel Like’. “This is what is most disturbing about “I feel like”: The phrase cripples our range of expression and flattens the complex role that emotions do play in our reasoning. It turns emotion into a cudgel that smashes the distinction — and even in our relativistic age, there remains a distinction — between evidence out in the world and internal sentiments known only to each of us.”
- Who Will Debunk The Debunkers? This may make your brain hurt a bit.
- Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are?
- The Price of Advice. The author posits that the creative community is over-saturated with advice, and it’s not helping. I tend to agree. “The sheer scale of the design world’s advice-industrial-complex may catch our friends in other fields off-guard. Can you imagine the motivational slogans of heart surgeons? Fishmongers? Electricians? Meanwhile, any moment of the day, a quick look at social media will unfailingly remind that (lest we forget) yes, we should indeed still be doing what we love™.”
- Following that up with an advice article, which is nonetheless a good read: How to get unstuck in life by simply making a next move — any next move.
Things of Note:
The only good thing about rainy weather is that I end up reading a lot. I am crushing my reading goal for the year so far, in no small part because of said recent rain-induced reading frenzy. Say that 3 times fast.
On the up-up-upside, good friends of ours recently adopted an adorable little corgi puppy, who I am meeting later this week. I love my Sienna girl, but tiny lap-sized ball of floof she is not. I was sent pictures. The cute is strong with this one.
What’s the upside of your week so far?
PS: If you like these TTT readworthy posts and want to get them straight to your inbox, sign up here.