As promised, here is my list of things I want to accomplish before my next birthday! Take a look:
- Finish the restructuring of my design site. Been working on this a little while, would like to finish it up and launch sooner rather than later.
- Finish designing a calendar, and publish it. I’m actually working on it this week & in Nov.
- Submit a book cover design to Recovering the Classics. Moving from last year’s list to this one.
- Bond with my nephew. I get to meet him next week!
- Make 6 quality connections from conferences in the next year. I have 2 conferences on the books right now, so this seems doable. Quality over quantity, yeah?
- Have a vacation or staycation with Ian.
- Get new flooring in the kitchen. First: talk Ian into it.
- Revive the Dragonflight Dreams shop. Pay more attention to it this coming year.
- Go on a picture-taking walk once a month. I feel that my camera has been neglected.
- Try 1 new restaurant each month. I did this a few years back and it was fun.
- Read 4 business books.
- Launch a new series about menu design over on my design blog.
- Gain 12 new design clients (1/month).
- Purge my clothes closet.
- Purge my office/crafting closet.
- Land book cover work with a publisher.
- Learn how to do baby-related things. Change a diaper, swaddle, wear that wrap thing, etc. Nephew will be good for this.
- Get pregnant. Yup, I’m just going to sneak that in the middle here.
- Do 1 freezer prep session every month or 2 months.
- Get a water softener installed. First: See where it would fit.
- Repair the flower bed wall and trim our jasmine vines.
- Stay consistent with working out– (2x or 3x per week).
- Indulge in a mega pampering session: massage, facial, mani-pedi.
- Get through my NetGalley backlog.
- Explore how I can use my Silhouette machine for the shop. Particularly with making screens.
- Set up two lady coffee events per month – one more business-oriented, one more chill.
- Figure out a newsletter plan for design biz.
- Go to 4 AIGA events.
- Open a retirement account. Let’s see if I can knock this out this year.
- Be more consistent on Instagram – 1x per week.
- Practice hand lettering/brush lettering.
- Finish a Skillshare course.
- Hand make Valentines cards for 2017.
Ambitious but doable? Here’s hoping. I really think after this point, I’m just going to have to pick an arbitrary number of goals and use that instead. This is getting long.
Today is my birthday! I have, somehow, reached the age of 32 intact. I make myself a list of goals I want to accomplish before next year’s birthday each year. This is what I set for myself last year at this time. Let’s see how I did: Go to a design conference. Nope, did not make it to a design-specific conference this year. But I bought my tickets to HOW Design Live for next year, so it is happening! Also attended a freelance conference, and two business-y conferences. Staycation or vacation with Ian. Yes! We went to New Orleans for […]
Taking a page from Pip’s book and using this list to do a life snapshot. I don’t have any fun pictures to intro this, so we’re just going to jump right into the list: Making: cupcakes in the morning! Cooking: Nothing at the moment, but I made this for my mom and sisters earlier. Drinking: water. Reading: Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. Wanting: to go to sleep. Looking: at my laptop screen. Yes, I have a working laptop now! Playing: with my sister’s dog Suri, lately. Deciding: what to do about a certain situation with a client. Wishing: that I could […]
Taking a page from Pip’s book and using this list to do a life snapshot. Making: a new cover for Pride & Prejudice over on my design blog. Cooking: Nothing at the moment. Drinking: Sweet tea. Reading: The Children of Earth & Sky by Guy Gavriel Kay. Wanting: to get a new laptop (I don’t currently have a functioning one). Eyeing this one. Looking: out the window at the rain. All rain all week in the forecast. 😩 Playing: not much of anything lately, other than fetch with Sienna. Deciding: whether and where to go on vacation later this summer. […]
I am an admitted internet addict. I laugh in the face of those surveys that ask me to estimate the time I spend online. It’d be easier to estimate the time I spend offline. Admittedly, a lot of that online time is due to work, but still. I am online a LOT. And you know what? I don’t feel bad about that. At all. The internet age has, by and large, brought nothing but good things to my life. Aside from the obvious convenience aspect (looking at you, Amazon Prime), living in an e-connected world has had a profound impact […]
A little bit about what’s on my mind this Friday.
1. In October, after my name change and all, I re-launched my design business with a new focus and new name. It’s Studio Guerassio, and I focus on design & branding for the lifestyle sector (food & drink, writers, artists & makers, culture, events, balance & wellness). I’d like to ask a favor of all of my lovely readers: if you know a business owner or blogger or solopreneur who fits that focus and is in need of design work, please send them my way! I’d be über grateful. 🙂 2. Random thoughts on film and TV: I was browsing […]