1. I attended a pickling workshop at Treehouse this past week. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it was still not what I had expected (if that makes sense). The speaker walked us through making pickles by fermentation, rather than the vinegar brine method I was vaguely familiar with from my Grandma. I was initially skeptical (she was making pickled carrots, which I have no interest in ever eating again), but it’s a method that can be used on any veggie, including the traditional pickling cucumbers. And the method seems a lot less labor intensive than my Grandma’s way, which is a plus. There was no sterilizing water bath or needing to specially seal jars. After reporting to the boy about it, we are going to try it out this weekend. I’ll be making some garlic-dill cucumber pickles, and he’ll be trying out some spicy carrot pickles. Hopefully one of the farmer’s markets this weekend will still have the smaller pickling cucumbers (I have no idea what their ‘season’ is). I’ll let you know how that goes.
2. The Project Runway season finale was last night, and I have to say I’m disappointed with who they declared the winner. If it was a popularity contest for Who’s The Nicest, I might’ve picked that person. But based on the collections shown, I definitely would’ve picked the runner-up as the winner. (how’s that for no spoiler commentary?!)
3. I know Austin has badly needed some rain, but I am really tired of it. Can’t the weather gods spread it out over the year instead of having a whole week in a row of dreary grey days? I moved here to escape dreary grey days! It makes me completely unmotivated. I’ve been on top of work stuff this week, but have done pretty much diddly squat with screen printing or even this blog. I’ve just been curled up reading instead.
4. Proud dog mama moment: Sienna went in for her comprehensive exam and vaccine updates this week, and when the vet called me to go over all of the results, she also said they couldn’t resist playing with Sienna because she was so friendly and playful, and that in general she is “just an awesome dog.” 😀
5. I am guest posting over at Mandy’s place today. It involves TV crime dramas and Photoshop, two of my favorite things. You should go check it out.
How was your week? Up to anything fun or new this weekend?
Today’s post comes from Carly, one of my wonderful sponsors this month. Check out her tasty recipe below, and then go say hi! Hi, I’m Carly! And it’s that time of year here in Florida: strawberry season! Pie Ingredients 6 cups fresh strawberries (about 1 1/2 quarts) 1 cup sugar 3 Tbsp cornstarch 1/2 cup water Crust Ingredients 1 1/4 cup of graham cracker crumbs 1/3 cup butter 1/4 cup sugar Directions I usually make the crust first. Melt butter in a 9 inch pie pan, 1 minute covered in the microwave works for me. Next add […]
Today I’m over at Sandy a la Mode sharing some tips on how to incorporate the colors of the season into your wardrobe, without ending up looking like a walking Christmas card. Go check it out!
Today I’m turning over the blog to one of my wonderful sponsors this month, Kassi! Her and her sister blog over at Truly Lovely, and today she’s sharing a perfect-for-fall treat. Read on, and then go say hi over at her place or on Twitter! Hi there! I’m Kassi and I am thrilled to be here guest posting for the lovely Amanda! That’s me on the right. Kayli, on the left, is my sister and together we blog at Truly Lovely. On any given day you might find a craft tutorial, a recipe, a random story… On Fridays you’ll […]
Today I’m turning over the blog to Robin, summer sponsor and photographer extraordinaire. She’s put together a great Friday Favorites for you – enjoy! Hi everyone, I’m Robin from Around the Island Photography, one of this summer’s sponsors here on Dragonflight Dreams – that’s my badge with the poppies that you see over on the right sidebar, and thanks to the magic of the internet clicking on it will magically zap you over to my etsy shop, where you can see a wide range of my fine art, travel and nature photography as well as all occasion greeting cards […]
Today’s post is brought to you by Keely, a fellow Better Bloggers Network member and baker extraordinaire. I can’t wait to try these! Hello, lovely Dragonflight Dreams readers! Thanks for having me here. I usually blog over at Hairbows and Butter. I’m a baker, a lover of food and beautiful things and I’m so happy to share a recipe with you! I’m incredibly excited about today’s cupcake recipe. How many of you are lovers of crème brûlée but don’t love dealing with the trouble of making a custard, cooking it, cooling it and using a blow torch to “brûlée” the […]
So, I attempted a new screen-making method for the elephant design, using the photo emulsion kit my sister got me for my birthday last year. And I thought it worked beautifully, until I went to print. And got this: Super bummer. It may be that I just messed up in the process, since it was my first time trying this method. I’m going to give it another go with the kit, but if the next screen turns out the same way, it’s back to hand-painting screens for me. I do hate to see a shirt go to waste, […]