What do you get when you have a friend who loves red velvet cake and the color purple (both of which you are a fan of yourself) who has a birthday to celebrate? You go to Google and learn that velvet cake can come in any color, and purple velvet cake is not only a thing that exists but awesome. It’s just like red velvet cake in moistness and tastiness – but purple! And not any harder to make that your normal cake. Feast your eyes (and maybe later your bellies) on this delectable violet velvet dessert:
Purple Velvet Cake
- 1 box of vanilla/white cake mix
- 3.5oz non-instant chocolate pudding mix (not the whole package)
- ½ c. buttermilk
- ~20 drops of purple/violet food coloring*
- remainder of ingredients on the box (in this case, water, eggs, and vegetable oil)
- cream cheese frosting
*more or less depending on how purple you want your cake.
- Preheat oven according to box directions and the type of pan you’re using.
- Prep cake mix according to box directions, but substitute half of the water with the buttermilk. Add in pudding mix and food coloring before beating.
- Beat mixture according to box directions.
- Pour into your greased pan(s) of choice and bake (you guessed it) according to the box directions.
- Allow cake to cool before removing from pan(s) and frosting. Don’t be alarmed if the outside doesn’t look too purple – the inside still will be!
- Enjoy your tasty purple velvety goodness!
What’s your favorite kind of cake?