This is a recipe I learned from my mother, and it is one of my absolute favorites. These muffins are quick to make, and just completely delicious. I tend to make them more in the fall/winter (hence this being my October Follow Fest post! – see below recipe for more info), because they are exactly perfect for breakfast when warmed up just a smidge so the chocolate chips go all melty again. But they are good year-round, too – for breakfast, or dessert, or just a snack. And if you’re the type who likes to sample the batter before baking the goods, have at it – it’s just as yummy in that form. 🙂
Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 mashed bananas*
- 2 eggs (mix up before adding)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips- 1 cup or more, as desired
*Overripe bananas are the best for this, as they mash easier, so if you buy a bunch, wait until they are brown/black on the outside. Also, make sure they are good-sized bananas, not small ones, or the muffins will be dry.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mash bananas together with sugar and butter. (I find the texture of those two makes mashing easier, instead of bananas just sliding around the bowl).
- Add flour, eggs, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- Add chocolate chips. Mix well.
- Spoon batter into muffin slots so each is 2/3 full.
- Cook until golden brown (~12 minutes if small muffins, ~20 if cupcake size)
Recipe makes 3 to 4 dozen in mini muffin pans and 1.5 dozen in cupcake size pans.
The pictures above show one full tray of mini muffins (24 muffins) and a cupcake-size pan (12 muffins) – that is from one batch of batter.
October Follow Fest
If you’ve jumped here from the October Follow Fest, welcome! I hope you enjoy the recipe above. It’s the latest installment of my Friday Favorites blog series. If you’d like to learn more about me, some good places to start are: About, the A to Z of Me, and 28 Before 28. If you’d like to know more about my screenprinting, check out these places: My Process and the Dragonflight Apparel Etsy Shop. Otherwise, just take a meander around the site, and feel free to comment or drop me an email, or look me up on Facebook or Twitter. 😀
if onl i could reach through the computer screen. Those look delicious!
Yum!! I am a new follower from followers fest…still trying to catch up!!