1. I had grand plans to be super productive in the internet world today (work and blog and shop stuff), and then I had my annual eye doctor appointment. I wear contacts, in case you didn’t know. And today’s exam included a pupil dilation, which takes a few hours to wear off. Pupil dilation = making pupils really big so doc can shine a light through and look at the back of your eye. So everything is really bright right now, and it’s hard to focus on the screen long enough to type out this post. Visual aid:
It’s a bit uncomfortable, and I’m not sure how I can do any design work until it goes away. Excuse for extra long lunch break? I think so.
2. I tried out Google Hangouts for the first time last night, for the blogger book club. It was the first time I’d interacted with any of these bloggers in non-Twitter-or-email format. 🙂 Quite fun! The review of our book for this month will be up next week.
3. I’ve been putting together more mood/color boards on Pinterest, and have discovered something: the general populace (as represented on Pinterest) is a little bit clueless about the proper names for certain color shades. And it kind of drives me batty. Some of the things being labeled as turquoise or fuchsia or indigo are very clearly NOT those colors. Maybe it’s the designer in me, but I think there’s a clear difference between a pale mint green and a bright turquoise, or a wine red and a purple. Bah. Crazy-making, I tell you. Oh, and the aforementioned color boards are here: Red, Yellow, Blue, and Purple so far.
4. In discussing the fall festival that Ian’s workplace (Samsung) is throwing this weekend, I asked him if I should dress as a pumpkin. His response: “I see you as more of a squash. I know pumpkin is sort of a squash, but you’re a slender squash. A nice shapely squash. And not one of those with junk in the trunk.” True story. Lol.
5. I realized I haven’t posted a new recipe in awhile (aside from guest post recipes), and I feel a bit bad about that. But the truth is we just haven’t been as adventurous in cooking lately. Ian’s been working really long days, and I’ve had some financial stress, and when those happen we tend to fall back on easy-to-make, tried-and-true favorites rather than attempting new recipes. I’m hoping November brings a turn-about, because I miss it. And I really want to cook up some soups and stews now that weather is turning colder (in the 50’s today, down from in the 80’s yesterday – brr!).
How are all of you?
Your weather sounds like Michigan’s. Yesterday it was in the 70’s today it is in the 40’s and rainy. Brooke had fun outside yesterday, with it so warm. We swang, blowed bubbles and played in the sandbox. I watched her three days this week. Can’t wait to see you at Thanksgiving. Boy, that only gives me a month to get my house ready for company. Where did October go?
I know, October is flying by! Excited to get to see you and everyone at Thanksgiving. Maybe Brooke will warm to me this time. 🙂
I’m finding that I’m becoming a big fan of Google Hangouts. I just wish I could find more people to do them with on a regular basis.
I’m still new to the whole video chat thing. I can probably count the number of video chats I’ve done on one hand. I think once I get used to them and feel less awkward it’ll be better. The book club one was still fun though (yay books!).
Wow! Love the eye picture. I’ve always wondered what your eyes look like when they get dilated. I’m too much of a chicken to get mine done. I have a bit of an eye phobia and dread the eye doctor. Glad you connected with me on BBN. It’s nice to find another Austin area girl! Yes, the weather is nuts lately. Had to scramble to find something warm to wear today!
I did, too! Had to dig out all of my sweaters and long-sleeved stuff. Though it’s supposed to be back up to 85 later this week? Nutso.
Of all the different various medical professionals I have to interact with (regular doctor, ob/gyn, dentist, etc.) the eye doctor is by far the easiest/least stressful. Maybe because I’ve been going to one since 2nd grade, maybe lack of needles/pain. But still. I’ll take it over a dentist trip any day.
Glad to connect with you, too! I added your blog to my reader. 🙂
Ohhhh!!! I love your color boards. Such a brilliant idea! 😀 Also, #4 literally made me giggle!
Thanks! And it made me giggle, too. The things that boy says…
Ah the eye doctor wigs me out – I have major people near my eyes fears. Stopping over from Alyx’s blog. Love that you are in Austin, I loved there for 4 years before moving to Geramny!
Thanks for stopping by! I feel about dentists the way you feel about eye doctors. At least eye doctors don’t come equipped with sharp implements! 😉
That’s quite a move! Though from what I remember of my one trip to Germany ages ago, it’s a good place. I love Austin, too. I love to travel, but I think Austin will be my home base for awhile.