This is one of the boy’s recent picks for cookery adventures. And I admit, I was a bit skeptical. I’ve had Thai dishes before where the peanut sauce was overwhelming, and thus not enjoyable (for me). Happily, that is not the case with this dish. I’m not sure whether it’s because I’m working from peanut butter rather than peanut oil, or whether the brown sugar or soy sauce somehow mitigate the peanut flavor, but the sauce on this is just downright yummy. And it was super easy to make (just, uh, make sure your chicken is all the way defrosted first… not that we had an issue with that or anything…).
Thai-Inspired Chicken & Noodles
- 1/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/4 c. creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 c. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 c. dry bread crumbs
- 3 packages Ramen noodles, chicken flavor
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (5 oz. each)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 can (14oz.) bean sprouts, drained
- Combine sugar, peanut butter, soy sauce and garlic in a small bowl and set aside. In a large Ziploc bag, combine bread crumbs and the contents of two noodle seasoning packets. Discard the 3rd packet or save for something else. Add chicken to the Ziploc bag, one piece at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, cook the chicken in oil over medium heat for 5-6 minutes per side (or until meat thermometer reads 170). Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions.
- Remove the chicken and keep warm. Add peanut butter mixture to skillet, cook and stir until warmed through. Drain noodles, and add to mix. Add bean sprouts. Toss to coat and heat through.
- Serve with chicken.
How about you – are there foods from certain ethnic backgrounds that are too strongly flavored for you? Or are you a catch-all enthusiast of world cuisine? 🙂
I once had something similar to this and the peanut flavor was just overwhelming! I don’t know if it’s my thing, but I do love Pad Thai 🙂
I usually have that issue with peanut sauces, too, but this one was tasty. I can’t do things with fish sauce, though, because the smell just makes me gag.
I’ve been looking for a recipe like this to try! I’ve gotten pretty addicted to pad thai, but I’m getting tired of dropping $10 all the time at the restaurant around the corner.
Happy to help! Hope you like it. 🙂
This looks so good! I need to try this! Great recipe:)
It is good! Hope you like it if you try it out. 🙂