- Cool thing of the week: Parents call cops on teen for giving away banned book; it backfires predictably.
- 5 Big Happiness Myths Debunked–And The Power Of Negative Thinking
- World’s Fair: Isaac Asimov’s predictions 50 years on. The guy was eerily spot-on in many cases.
- The real reason why an editor isn’t responding to your pitch. Could be applied to any bid or proposal, really.
- True Life: I’m A Book Club Dropout. Been there. Though current book club is going well!
- The Doctor Who Coaches Athletes on Sleep. “We would never say, ‘This person is a great worker! He’s drunk all the time!’ yet we continue to celebrate people who sacrifice sleep for work.”
- Three Things I Know to be True / Small Business Related. #1 especially!!! I can help with that. 😉
- Are You T’wired? — Simultaneously Tired and Wired. Yup.
- How to Stay Out of Debt (and Save Money, Too!). Some good, practicable advice.
- I Asked Siri 19 Ridiculous Questions And Got These Amazing Responses. Funny!
- 6 Things I Don’t Understand About The Fat Acceptance Movement. Before you get in a potential huff, go read it.
- Leave bland behind: have a damn opinion.
- Supercentenarian’s Blood Provides Clues To Extending Human Life
- The Stereotype Map Of Every U.S. State — According To British People. Alternately spot-on and hilarious.
- This Is Why We’re the Atheist Generation. “While some people might only behave morally because a rule book tells them that they’ll go to hell if they don’t, some of us (many religious people included) choose to refrain from stealing, murdering and cheating because we have empathy and don’t like making other people’s lives more difficult. (And if you really think that religious people have never acted amorally, I beg you to pick up a history book and look up the causes of practically every atrocity ever committed. You might be surprised to learn that most have them arose from religion, not lack of it.)”
Things of Note:
It may only be Tuesday, but it’s been a pretty productive week so far. My to-do list for the week is already a third done – woot! Most of it is house and shop stuff, but work stuff isn’t suffering either. Though there was a bit of a work disappointment. One of those situations where you get really excited about a project- it’s fun and (supposedly) creative and the client’s budget is generously decent! And then you submit your concepts and they come back saying everything was ‘too artistic’ and proceed to request the. most. basic. boring. possibilities ever. No leeway even in color scheme, as they’ve specified that, too. UGH. It’s SO disappointing when you think you’re being hired as an actual designer, whose expertise and experience will be utilized and taken into consideration, but they’re actually just hiring you as a mouse-pusher because they don’t have Illustrator. Blargh blargh blargh! < end rant >
Anyway! On to happier things. How’s your week going so far?
Great links this week! And the article (and accompanying quote from it) on atheism is especially fab. Definitely sharing it!
Thank you! And yes, there were a few choice quotes in that article. 🙂