Here’s something quick and easy to throw together. This meal was born from one of those evenings where my spirit of kitchen adventure outweighed the voice telling me to just go to the grocery story. We had some breakfast sausage left over from a brunch, and I always have brown rice and Craisins in my pantry, so I threw them all together. It took me a 2nd time to get the seasoning right (the first time it turned out kind of bland). I call it breakfast rice since the sausage I use most often for this is breakfast sausage, but it works perfectly fine as dinner, too. It only takes about 15 minutes to make and cook if you use the quick-cook rice. If you want it more breakfast-y, scramble some eggs on the side and then mix in after the rice is cooked.
Cranberry Sausage Breakfast Rice
- 2 cups brown rice, quick-cook style*
- 1 ¾ c. water*
- ¾ c. cranberry raisins (Craisins)**
- 6 Ekrich breakfast sausage smoky links, sliced**
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- salt and pepper generously
- sprinkling of garlic powder
*Adjust the amount of rice vs. water for the specific type of brown rice you get. Directions should be on the package.
** These amounts can also be adjusted, depending on how ‘chunky’ you want your rice. These are just the amounts I used.
- Add water, butter, sausage, craisins, and seasonings to a sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
- Add rice, and mix.
- Return to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer for the time on the rice packaging (mine was 5 minutes with the quick-cook rice).
- Remove from heat, stir, re-cover, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff and serve.
What’s your go-to throw-together dish when the pantry is running low?