- Art series of the week: these great posters illustrating points from #YesAllWomen.
- Video of the week: James McAvoy Won’t Do Star Trek Impressions For Patrick Stewart.
- A Better Way to Say Sorry
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle: Misogyny, Entitlement, and Nerds. “The overall problem is one of a culture where instead of seeing women as, you know, people, protagonists of their own stories just like we are of ours, men are taught that women are things to “earn,” to “win.” That if we try hard enough and persist long enough, we’ll get the girl in the end. Like life is a video game and women, like money and status, are just part of the reward we get for doing well.”
- Dear Class of 2014: here’s what you can do about the gender wage gap.
- Here’s how much your high school grades predict your future salary.
- Which Country Reads the Most? We are not winning at this, US. Step it up.
- In case you missed it, the massive book giveaway I’m running can help with the above.
- Quote websites are frequently inaccurate, but we use them anyway.
- Why Agnosticism Probably Doesn’t Mean What You Think It Means
- 5 Tips for Working with a Designer. YES.
- Just Because it’s Valuable Doesn’t Mean It’s Not Spam.
- How Light May Be Affecting Your Creativity. Interesting. I am going to try out the light-adjusting program she mentioned on my Mac. We’ll see how it goes.
- Do You Feel Like You’re Not Sleeping, Even When You Are? Yup.
- Tasty things to eat: Brown Butter Icebox Cookies and Double Chocolate Raspberry Butter Cream Cake.
Things of Note:
Welcome to June, readers! I hope it’s going well for you so far. Some news from over the weekend: this little blog turned 3, and you should really check out the giveaway I’m doing to celebrate. Also, we had a movie night with friends, and put together some patio furniture, and otherwise just hung out and took it easy. The boy had the day off yesterday, so we went on a lunch date to see Maleficent (you know I love a good fairy tale retelling). It was decent, happily. Re: the ongoing patio project, we’ve now decided we probably need to repaint the cement base, so pictures of all the planties and such are going to wait til after that, because hey, I can’t pass up a dramatic before/after.
What have you been up to lately? Anything fun in store for June?
Congrats on your blog’s third birthday! I really want to see Maleficent and I’m glad to hear you enjoyed it. I love it when fairy tales get retold in creative ways. Love your blog! X Jane
Thank you! 🙂 And yes, Maleficent is definitely a new take on Sleeping Beauty. It had some minor issues, but overall I really enjoyed it.
James McAvoy is so adorable. 😀 Also, love that article on Agnosticism, thanks for sharing! Good luck with the rest of the patio redo! We are building our raised garden beds this weekend and I can’t wait to get planting!
He really is! Though Michael Fassbender’s impression of Ian McKellan was eerily good, too. Good luck with your garden beds!
Glad you don’t have anything too negative to say about Maleficent, I really want to go watch it! Dramatic before and after pictures…? Hooray! My favorite kind! hehe 😉 I have no idea what’s in store for me in June. Hopefully just a chill and happy month, I can’t believe half the year is almost over! It’s going by so fast!
I can’t believe the year is almost halfway over either! Nutso fast. But I hope your June is as chill and happy as can be. 🙂