- Video of the week: Dear Kitten. Life lessons from an older cat.
- Photo series of the week: Pit Bulls Photographed As Lovely Fairy Tale Creatures.
- Comic of the week: Penny Arcade vs. the Mash-Up Tee.
- Been There, Done That: Why We Keep Retelling Fairy Tales.
- How To Be A Grown Ass Woman: Health + Personal Care.
- Don’t Worry: Stupid People Will Kill Us All Before The Robots Do.
- The Scourge of “Relatability”. The author makes a distinction between identification with characters (which is viewed as positive) and finding characters relatable (which is viewed as negative). I disagree with that premise (I think they are more like synonyms now, and that any way you get invested in a story is a good thing) but it’s an interesting article nonetheless.
- “I can get it cheaper”: What to do when a client rejects your fee. Good advice.
- 53 Freelancing Mistakes That Are Costing You Clients, Cash, and Credibility.
- What I Learned After Taking a Homeless Mother Grocery Shopping.
- Give Me Gratitude or Give Me Debt. “Recently I posted a picture of myself in my kitchen, and I immediately started receiving generous messages from people wanting to help me “update” it. Along with their messages came pictures of how my kitchen could look, if I’d just put some effort and money into it.”
Things of Note:
This week is mostly just doing all the million little things left to get ready for the craft show. Which, if you’re in Austin, you should totally come check out and say hi to me and keep me from retreating to an introvert huddle in the back of my booth (halfway kidding). In all seriousness, though, I’m equal parts excited and nervous, and I think it’s pretty much a given that I’m not going to get any sleep the night before the show opens. And that I will be absolutely worthless on Monday after the show is over, haha. But in between? Hoping that is awesome. And I mean, the organizers have food trucks that will deliver food to vendors in their booths, including breakfast tacos, so it’s pretty much already going to be amazing just from that.
Also, because I’m crazy, I also decided to tackle redesigning my freelance site in the midst of all this, and that went live yesterday, so you should also check that out. It’s now responsive, which means it still looks good viewed on a phone, and I love the swooshy effect when switching categories in the portfolio.
What’s something that’s made you nervous and excited lately?