- Illustration series of the week: If Disney Princesses Had Realistic Hair. This made me laugh.
- Whoa project of the week: Robots Learn To Cook Food By Watching YouTube Videos.
- Public and Scientists’ Views on Science and Society in the US. Oi vey.
- Woman Tattoos Her Own Face To Cover Scars, Starts Business To Help Other Burn Victims.
- Twitter favorite Maureen Johnson tackles unexpected long-term illness with humor in her post The Curious Case of the Author Who Didn’t Get Better On Time.
- Dear clients, you get what you pay for. “Clients of the world, if you want loyal freelancers who do their best work for you, who prioritize you, who invest in your work… you need to invest in them. […] Nobody is asking you to pay outrageous, exorbitant fees; nobody is disputing your right to bargain. But if you make a habit of choosing the best deal over the best people, don’t be surprised when you can’t attract the talent you want, when your turnover rate is high, and when your top-choice freelancers are routinely unavailable.” <---- THIS.
- Work Is Bullshit: The Argument For “Antiwork”. Interesting read.
- Why You Should Tell Your Children How Much You Make.
- Keep your goals to yourself. The opposite advice from what you usually hear.
- A computer for every student? It’s backfiring.
- 10 Things You Need to Know Before Dating the Outgoing Introvert. I don’t know if I’d call myself an ‘outgoing’ introvert, but I think a lot of these apply to regular introverts, too. #’s 4, 6 & 7 especially.
- S.L. Huang: On The Subject Of Unlikable Women Protagonists
- What Silicon Valley Thinks of Women.
- How To Hit On Girls In The Club (Or Not). I am not a clubber by any stretch of the imagination, but the takeaways are solid regardless. “Here’s what respecting the curve means: Be cool and leave her alone. You’re not going to talk her into liking you, and you’re making her night shitty for no reason. (If you can’t handle rejection without getting pushy or upset, please don’t talk to girls until you’ve been in therapy for awhile.) And even if she’s been dancing and flirting with you, she still has the right to curve you at any time, including after you’ve left the club.”
- To Fall in Love With Anyone, Do This. If the above leaves you floundering, dudes (or dudettes), just read this one.
Things of Note:
Well that’s a whopper of a list for you guys this week. There’s some good stuff there, though, so wade on in.
Aside from (apparently) trolling large swathes of the internet, this past week has been super productive. I started the work with my new business coach and I’m excited about that. Ian and I booked 3 more vendors for our wedding: officiant, music, and photographer, all within the space of 2-3 days. Nuts, but yay! We’re working on figuring out the catering now. We got out first quote yesterday and it was… shocking, to say the least. Like, several thousand more than we’d been expecting. It sent me into a mini panic, to be honest. The 2nd quote I got today was MUCH more reasonable, so I’m thinking that first company was just not a good fit.
AND I have my first appointment to try on wedding dresses this weekend!! EEEEeee! I’m super excited about that.
What’s going on in your world this week? Have you tacked anything daunting lately?