- Exploding The Nuclear Family. “Artificially conceived children do absolutely fine; the absence of a father or a mother doesn’t spell disaster for the children; the kids of gay and lesbian parents do no worse than those from more traditional families.”
- These Superhumans Are Real and Their DNA Could Be Worth Billions. ‘Superhumans’ might be an exaggeration, I’m not sure the feels-no-pain thing is a benefit. That bone thing, though…
- How Sleep Resets The Brain’s ‘Emotional Compass’.
- A world without advice. What if all advice just stopped existing? What would happen? Would we be better or worse for it?
- No, It’s Not Your Opinion. You’re Just Wrong. Great read on the difference between a personal opinion and a verifiable fact. “Eventually you are going to venture out into the world and find that what you thought was an informed opinion was actually just a tiny thought based on little data and your feelings. Many, many, many of your opinions will turn out to be uninformed or just flat out wrong.”
- Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway— With Me in It. Highly disturbing. Glad I didn’t buy a Chrysler.
- Europe to America: Your love of air-conditioning is stupid. Yes, well come visit our 100+ degree summer days here in Austin and tell me A/C is stupid.
- Shopping Local: A Matter of Can’t, Not Won’t.
- This week, in random but awesome: Italian Sculptor Carves an Impressive Dragon Head from a Watermelon, and 100 Years Of Aliens On Film, In 3 Minutes.
Things of Note:
No notes this week, really. Business as usual and just minor steps in the remaining wedding stuff. So:
Tell me something awesome that happened to you recently!
YES! Opinion vs. fact! I get into arguments with anti-vaxxers on Facebook all the time. I know it’s a waste of keystrokes, but I can’t just let them spout their ignorance when it’s scientifically false. SO FALSE.
And lol at Europe for being so snotty about air conditioning. First of all, they totally HAVE air conditioning over there, it’s just not central air. Like you said, have them spend some time in the south and see what they say. Hahaha.
Oh, man, yeah- Facebook is a constant struggle not to just sink all my time in arguments with ignorant people. I eventually just unfriended where I could, that helped a lot.
The Europe thing, I was like- you guys have A/C too, ya know? I guess they don’t use it as much as we do? But then they also don’t have the need. *shrug*