- Cool news of the week: New evidence suggests a ninth planet lurking at the edge of the solar system. Though it’s really the 10th planet, sheesh. Poor Pluto.
- Scientists have traced folk stories and fairy tales back to the Bronze Age.
- The Future of Parking in the Age of Self-Driving Cars.
- Being frozen ‘to death’ saved this man’s life. It could save others, too.
- Tech’s ‘Frightful 5’ Will Dominate Digital Life for Foreseeable Future.
- Why the Next Uber Wannabe Is Already Dead.
- The Death of the Artist—and the Birth of the Creative Entrepreneur. “The notion of the artist as a solitary genius—so potent a cultural force, so determinative, still, of the way we think of creativity in general—is decades out of date.”
- We Asked A Mass Shooter Why The Hell This Keeps Happening. Actually a really insightful article.
- A heavy blanket might be the key for insomniacs and veterans.
- Yes, You Should Have a ‘Fuck-Off Fund’ in Case of Life, Relationship or Job Meltdowns. Not bad advice.
- On Hillary and Bernie. Agreed.
Things of Note:
This past week was pretty darn productive for me. I finished a big project and sent it off to print for a client. I did business-y things like paying my quarterly sales tax and balancing accounts. I actually have several posts scheduled for this blog, and one for my business blog. I read like 4 books. Also this past week, we had mostly sunshine and not grey days. I do not believe this is just coincidence. Though the book reading may at least also have had something to do with Ian having to work late every night last week, and me having lots of evening hours free. Whatevs.
Here’s hoping the productive streak continues this week. 🙂
How is your January going so far? New year productivity or grey winter slothness?
PS: If you like these TTT readworthy posts and want to get them straight to your inbox, sign up here.
Totally agree about the concept of artist vs. creative entrepreneur. My husband refers to me as an artist sometimes and I cringe a little bit because there’s SO much more to what I do than just making pretty things. He means well, but it’s not an accurate descriptor. I might feel differently about it if I were independently wealthy and sat around painting in the south of France all day, but mama needs to make money. Hahaha.
I can relate on the misguided husband front! Mine still describes this blog as a fashion blog, even though I haven’t done that in years. I have to jump in and correct him whenever I hear him spouting this. (Clearly, he is not a reader, lol)
I don’t have as much experience with the artist issue, just because ‘graphic designer’ seems to be something people understand separately. But I think the article raised some very valid points.