- This profile on Julie Andrews’ and Christopher Plummer’s friendship makes me want to watch The Sound of Music all over again.
- Is UNESCO cultural heritage status for foods just a load of PR hot air?
- The Food-Sharing Economy Is Delicious And Illegal—Will It Survive?
- The global environmental impact of air conditioning is big and will get even bigger.
- Is Watching Gymnastics Worse Than Being an NFL Fan?
- Could Women Be Trusted With Their Own Pregnancy Tests? The history of at-home pregnancy test has more controversy than you’d think.
- Congratulations: Your Stray Chin Hairs Qualify You for Equal Pay! Lol-worthy but zingy piece from the ever-satiric McSweeney’s.
- American Horror Story — Welcome to the Scream Room. An outside perspective on the American political machine.
- Fear Is Fucking Us All Up. A very NSFW-language piece, but worth a read. “The change that results from fear is rarely the right kind of change. We need some way forward that doesn’t constantly try to shock our systems with panic and doom. I don’t know what the way forward is, except that individually we have to try to be conscious of when we’re being manipulated into fear and then finding the way around it.”
- Aside from fear, there’s no emotion we ought to think harder about than anger.
- I, Racist. A really powerful piece about why the author doesn’t talk about race with white people.
Things of Note:
Clearly I wasn’t focused on happy videos of dogs and funny Buzzfeed listicles this week. Seriously, though, surface downer-ism aside, there are some good reads up there. Well worth a gander.
What’s new since the last TTT? I got to meet my friend’s new tiny super cute baby. 😍 I had a consult with a fellow designer to get an outside perspective on my design business. Had coffee with friends, saw the new Star Trek, had tasty dim sum again. Officially gained a workout buddy for Pilates! All in all, a good week.
This week is looking pretty low key, which is needed after last week’s busy-ness.
What about you? Chillaxin’ into August, or steamrolling?
PS: If you like these TTT readworthy posts and want to get them straight to your inbox, sign up here.