I know it’s been awhile since I did a recipe post, but the wait was worth it. Because I’m back with a bang – this white wine marinara with sausage over tortellini is tasty. It’s a recipe I learned from my older sister and her boyfriend over Christmas. Though, I didn’t write it down, so it was thrown together from memory and might not be exactly like they make it, but it turned out delicious anyway. Really, the sauce is the star of this entree, and can be served over any sort of pasta, we’re just partial to tortellini. And it makes AWESOME leftovers, too.
White Wine Marinara Tortellini
- 1 bottle of white wine (your preferred variety)
- 1 jar of marinara sauce (your preferred flavor, or homemade if you’re that skilled)
- 1 bunch of spinach
- 3-5 real sausages*
- 1 package of tortellini (your preferred filling, or again homemade if you’re fancy)
- salt and pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese for topping
*Italian sausage or, if you don’t like the fennel aftertaste like me, bratwurst. Something in a real casing. Number you use depends on how meaty you like your sauce. We used 3.
- Add ¾ of the bottle of wine to a sauce pan, along with marinara. Drink the rest of the wine. 😉
- Remove sausages from casing, and crumble into sauce pan.
- Wash and pluck spinach, shredding into smaller leaves. Add to sauce pan.
- Stir all together, salt and pepper to taste, heat to boiling, and then simmer for 45min – 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has cooked down and thickened. This will make your kitchen smell amazing.
- When sauce is nearly done, boil water in a big pot for the tortellini. Cook according to package directions.
- Drain tortellini. Remove sauce from heat.
- Serve sauce over tortellini, topped with parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
What’s your favorite sauce over pasta? Learned any awesome recipes from a family member lately?