While I was in Ohio, I made these for my mom almost every day. Her chemo diet is pretty restrictive, and finding new tasty ways to get her the nutrients she needs while keeping to the allowed food list was a challenge. Luckily, this was a go! And delicious, to boot. And filling enough to serve as a mini meal mid-afternoon. It’s a win all around, really.
And none of this nonsense about this being a milkshake and not a smoothie (ahem, Tim). It’s fruit and yogurt based! There’s a bit of milk, but not enough to call it a milkshake. It’s that sweet zone between smoothie and milkshake, also known as where deliciousness lives.
And yes, those are Christmas glasses. My mom’s house doesn’t discriminate on glassware by season. 😀
Strawberry Banana Smoothies
Makes 2 tall glasses.
- 2 bananas
- 4-5 good sized strawberries
- Half a container of Yoplait yogurt, strawberry flavor*
- 3 scoops frozen yogurt, vanilla flavor*
- A healthy drizzle of honey
- Milk, enough to fill roughly an inch in of the bottom of your blender once other ingredients are in it
*You can use low-fat/non-fat versions of these for even healthier smoothies. I use lactose-free versions, since I want yumminess without an angry stomach. That was also good for my mom, since chemo can make you more sensitive to regular dairy.
Really easy, guys:
- Throw everything in the blender.
- Blend on ‘smoothie’ setting.
- Pour into a glass, add a bendy straw (optional but recommended for fun factor), and enjoy!
What’s your favorite smoothie recipe?