Last year, one of the things I decided to do with my shops was donate a portion of proceeds to a different charity or cause each month. Over the course of 2014, between the shop proceeds and my own contributions, I donated around $400 to worthy causes. However, dividing that up between so many different groups meant each group didn’t really get that much. This year I’m changing it up. I’ll still be donating a portion of shop sales, but I’m going to do it quarterly instead of monthly. I’ve also decided to keep it local. So here are the four places I’ll be concentrating my efforts this year:
- 1st quarter (Jan-Mar): TreeFolks – focused on growing and maintaining urban forests in Central Texas for cleaner, cooler air and healthy communities.
- 2nd quarter (Apr-Jun): Austin Humane Society – Austin’s largest no-kill, non-profit pet shelter focused on saving homeless pets and reducing pet overpopulation.
- 3rd quarter (Jul-Sep): Sustainable Food Center – cultivates a healthy community by strengthening the local food system and improving access to nutritious, affordable food.
- 4th quarter (Oct-Dec): Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas – providing affordable healthcare and birth control, accurate sexual health information, and advocating on behalf of women and families.
These will be the beneficiaries from sales in both my screen printing shop and my digital shop. I’m hoping that moving to a quarterly setup will result in a bigger donation to each group. You can always find the current supported group in the welcome message on the shop’s home page. Of course, you can also donate directly to those groups, via their respective websites.
How are you planning to give back in 2015?
First and foremost, don’t forget you can find me this Saturday at the Rockin’ Around the Holiday Bazaar in Round Rock, TX. More details here, and you can RSVP/share the even here. I’d love to meet some of my blog readers and shop fans in person! You can print off this postcard and hand it in at the entrance to be entered for a door prize: Secondly, Annie’s Artist Lookbook did a wonderful surprise write-up on me and my shop, which you should go check out. Thanks, Annie! And last, if you haven’t already seen, holiday-themed items and stocking stuffer […]
1. Three-day weekend coming up, woohoo! And then once next week is finished, I have a little two-week staycation/break from work scheduled so I can turn 30 in peace and get some much-needed down time. To say I’m looking forward to it would be an understatement. Anyone want to hop in with a guest post for the blog while I’m away? I’ll schedule probably TTT and maybe a book review, but blogging will be sparse those two weeks (Oct. 20-31). I’m specifically interested in recipes, bookish lists, or something life/small business related. If you would like to guest post, email […]
Today, I officially become a two-blog gal. I used to have a blog on my freelance site, but it went dark a while ago because I just didn’t know what to write/how to blog/how to keep up with it. I feel like writing Dragonflight Dreams the last few years has taught me some of that, and I actually have ideas for it now. So I’ve brought The AC Vent back from the dead. You can find it here, if you care to poke around – there’s not much there yet, just some old archives (that have been somewhat de-scarified). The […]
1. The puppy is high maintenance for the next two week. She got herself an ear infection, and also apparently dogs get seasonal allergies just like humans do. So we have an ear cream, a special shampoo, prescription pills and Benedryl. And most of those have to be attended to twice a day. Yeah. Fun times over here. Sienna is not loving it. I keep telling her she’ll love it after her ear and itchies are all better. She remains unconvinced. 2. She is not the only one who has had an un-fun doctor appointment this week. I had my […]
Now that the craft show is past, I’ve been attending to a lot of the other to-do list items for my shop. First up, I’m finally getting photos of the made-to-order shirts on an actual person! Witness: Yeah, that’s just me wearing them. I never know what to do with my arms. I only have photos of the size mediums I had printed so far (note to self: always print a size medium for the example shots for made-to-order shirts), but I’ll get to the rest slowly and surely. Also, I did a big inventory and sorting of all of […]
Taking a page from Pip’s book and using this list to do a life snapshot. Making : a few more prints for this weekend’s craft show. Cooking : nothing at the moment. Will probably have leftovers for lunch (spaghetti). Drinking : water. Reading: The Furies by Mark Alpert. Wanting: to do too many things at once. Looking: at the computer screen, out the window, and occasionally at the pup at my feet. Playing: I was playing Two Dots, but I beat all of the levels. I need a new iPhone game now. Deciding: what to tackle next after I finish […]