1. Three-day weekend coming up, woohoo! And then once next week is finished, I have a little two-week staycation/break from work scheduled so I can turn 30 in peace and get some much-needed down time. To say I’m looking forward to it would be an understatement. Anyone want to hop in with a guest post for the blog while I’m away? I’ll schedule probably TTT and maybe a book review, but blogging will be sparse those two weeks (Oct. 20-31). I’m specifically interested in recipes, bookish lists, or something life/small business related. If you would like to guest post, email me at with your idea.
2. My lovely friend Kara is helping me out with a photoshoot on Monday to get some more shop shirts on models. It’s an ongoing project and I hope to have all shirts on models by the end of the year.
3. I get to see the Broadway musical version of Beauty & the Beast this weekend, which I’m pretty pumped about. The boy is… tolerant of it, at least. Between this and the ballet last month, I’m pretty sure I owe him a monster truck rally or BBQ road trip or something.
4. If you are near Austin and also self-employed/a freelancer, you might want to check out the upcoming Freelance Conference. It looks like it will be super useful, and I’ll be there, so we could hang.
I took a screen printing workshop this weekend. It was a stenciling method I hadn’t tried before, and was a lot of fun. It wouldn’t work for all of my designs, but for some it will be a much quicker way of making a screen. And I learned some tips about squeegees and ink, so all in all a good use of a Groupon and a Saturday afternoon. And I came up with a new design for the purposes of the workshop, so that will be debuting here and in the shop soon – yay! But there was an […]
I caught the boy’s cold last week (and in fact still have it) so if you’re wondering where I’ve been on the blog and Twitter, the answer is the couch. Or bed. Not much time spent on the computer the last few days. Or at the Gelato World Tour, as planned – SO bummed to miss that. 🙁 Though on the upside I’ve been reading a lot and power-housing some Netflix. So there’s that. I thought I was on the upswing yesterday, but today I woke up and felt worse, so who knows. Hoping it’s just a last hurrah before […]
1. This past weekend the boy and I went to see a show called TITtalks. It was in the format of TED Talks, except all of the ‘experts’ were improv comedians and they had no idea before stepping on stage what topic & visual aids they would be assigned and have to do a talk on. It was hilarious. We caught it on the last day of its run, sadly, or I’d tell you fellow Austinites to go check it out. 2. I’ve got a thing in the works to be a guest on a local podcast here. I’m equal […]
1. The quasi-in-laws are in town, which means last week’s cleaning frenzy has been followed by lots of cooking, eating out, watching movies/TV, and checking out Austin things like Torchy’s Tacos and the new aquarium – which is not great, but not terrible. It has lots of ‘petting’ tanks, so that was cool. I didn’t take today and tomorrow off like the boy did, so I’m home doing work stuff and blog stuff while they’re out seeing South Congress and the capital and things I’ve already seen. I like his family, but after a few days of house guests, it’s […]
1. My shop has been accepted into Etsy’s TAG Treasury Team… and it is intense, you guys. They have, like, rules and schedules for treasury-making and cross-promotion. But they are also a genuinely friendly and welcoming bunch. And I’ve seen views and favorites in my shop skyrocket, so that’s a plus. It can only be good for possible sales. I’ve only been a member for about a week, so we’ll see how it goes over time. 2. One of my favorite contemporary composers is Philip Glass (discovered through Battlestar Galactica, how’s that for nerding it up?). And I found out […]
1. I’m guest posting over at Lena’s place today with simple ways to put good karma out there. Check it out. 2. I’ve thought of about a million other things to use yesterday’s dip recipe with. Carrots. Crackers. Pretzels. On toast. On bagels. On French toast. With strawberries inside a crepe. I could go on. Basically, this is going to become a staple in my house and you should really try it out if you haven’t already. Nom. 3. Still gearing up for this weekend’s craft fair. I’ll be sitting there for 6 hours and the boy has declined to […]